and so... i missed last night's blog. hope you did, too.
i was a bit overwhelmed by a recent lack of sleep, and went to bed around 8:30. probably before your grandfather. the night before, i swore i heard my alarm clock go off. i have this great little cd player/alarm clock. when i bought it about six years ago, i thought it was the greatest thing ever. and i still love it.
for the past few months i've been waking up to the cole porter songbook. "i've got you under my skin" by dinah washington. as it's a live recording, i wake up to applause every morning. as if somewhere there's a crowd cheering me on-- "ryan! w'hooooo! it's thursday! isn't that great???"
actually, it really gets on my nerves. i need to switch songs. but yesterday morning i got up and said (out loud), "man... that's weird, i can barely hear it..." and i opened my eyes... squinted... tilted my head, and listened closer, and after more moments than you'd think it would take, i realized i didn't hear it at all. because it wasn't on. because it was 2:56 a.m.
i couldn't get back to sleep after that.
this morning, though, i had the rare privilege of being able to turn off my alarm... for ten days! A TEN DAY WEEKEND!!! the day care is closed and i have no more work for the next ten days!!! and i got big plans!!! ho-lee-cow, do i have big plans! plans so big that i don't even know if i want to share them. or maybe i can't share them! maybe they're secret plans. maybe they're secret plans from the government. maybe i'm a spy. maybe i'm a british spy. maybe i'm a british spy with a scottish accent. maybe i'm a british spy with a scottish accent and an astin martin. maybe i'm a british spy with a scottish accent and an astin martin and i like my martinis shaken, not stirred, or maybe i don't have anything to do for the next ten days, but watch movies all day.
hmmm, it is a mystery, alright. but i'll keep you posted.
if and when i can.
the five things i fell in love with yesterday...
1) the dude i saw in barnes & noble's this week (speaking of your grandfather) with the striped polo shirt, checkered shorts and argyle socks. man, he was rockin' that outfit! i got this really cool, blurry picture of him, too, but i'm still not sure how to take pics from my phone and put them into... or onto my computer. so you'll have to take my word for it.
2) seeing my big toddlers graduate to preschool and not look back.
3) seeing my big toddlers graduate to preschool and look back more than twice.
4) remembering at the last minute as you're running out the door that you forgot to put on deodorant. whew! close call!
5) being able to go to bed early.
the five things i fell in love with today...
1) i'm going to the movies tomorrow on the first of my many days off! ...did i mention that i have a ten day weekend?
2) a big honking truck sideswiped a sizable tree branch, knocking it to the ground about a foot in front of my coconut this afternoon, as i was walking to the train! crazy!
3) daily bread.
4) that no matter how foul my mouth can sometimes be, i know it's nothing compared to that woodchuck i've told you about before. i saw him earlier in the week and-- i was shocked-- he stopped me and said, "yo. martin. i read yer blog. what are you, an effin moron?! 'swamp rat'??? 'SWAMP rat'?!?!?! go buy yerself an encyclopedia, you effin' dumbass! i'm a mother-effin' woodchuck!!!" ...except he didn't say "effin.'"
5) sean connery.
song of the day...
"another way to die" by alicia keys and jack white
movie of the day...