after watching president obama's speech last night, and i came to this conclusion about the overall effectiveness of his policy in afghanistan...
i have no flipping idea if it's going to work or not.
the only thing i can do is pray that he's right. and, when i say pray, i'm talking about praying for wisdom for our president. y'know, for the safety of our troops and our nation.
seems a bit of a shame to me to have to clarify that, but, it has come to my attention in recent days that there are some who call themselves Christians who are praying for something quite different.
you may have seen this on a bumper sticker: "Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8".
and you may or may not know that Psalm 109:8 says, "Let his days be few; and let another take his office.”
now, i'm all for taking the Bible out of context-- like whenever i buy a lottery ticket, i'll quote Psalm 37:4-- "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." or, y'know, i'll quote the latter part of that.
or, if i'm at a party, and there's only one more slice of mushroom pizza in the box, i'll probably pretend that "God helps those who help themselves" is actually in the Bible.
but, i think the whole "pray for obama: psalm 109:8" thing is taking things a step too far. especially when psalm 109:9 says, "may his children be fatherless and his wife a widow." i mean, great. with all the delusional crazies we have in america, this is all we need, right?
so... what's a Christian to do if he's in some parking lot and happens upon a car with this bumper sticker? i dunno. but i can offer up a suggestion. colossians 3:12-14...
"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."
or, you could just key their car. either way.
the five things i fell in love with today...
1) again, our troops overseas. God bless them all.
2) west point. i don't live that far away from their campus, actually. it's really beautiful. and the cadets are among the most impressive group of people i've ever been around.
3) one of our kids picked up a marshmellow off the floor of our classroom today and, with great indignation, asked "WHO PUT THIS HERE?!?!?!" and then she ate it.
4) the thought that maybe the soda guy wont wake me up tonite. last night, however, he called someone in the middle of one of those reality tv shows he was watching ("so, you think you can bungee jump?") and was SHOUTING about, ironically enough, his "migraine."
5) the Bible. (i need to read it more often).
song of the day...
"so long, frank lloyd wright" by simon & garfunkel. just something that's been in my head for a few days.
movie of the day...
"state of the union" GREAT movie!