Tuesday, March 30, 2010

late night phonecalls...

The soda guy kept me awake for a few late evening hours last night. At first it was wrestling. He was watching wrestling. With the volume turned up reeeeeeally loud. Nice of him to have turned it down after an hour and a half, but i was still kept awake with the thought of why a grown-ass man would actually be watching wrestling.

Around 11:30 he got a phone call. It was about a check worth $531.82. I'm quite certain about the amount because he repeated it twenty-seven times directly in front of our tissue-paper thick shared wall.

The thing that really gets me about the whole night is that i've talked to him about this type of thing before. I mean, i don't want to be a jerk, but i have to wake up at five o'clock in the morning, so... i don't think it's all that unreasonable to ask him not be on the phone after 11. Especially in the age of texting and email and carrier pigeon. And, he agreed.

And i know he agreed, because i was there when he did it. The next day he apologized up and down for being such an inconsiderate person. And he did so in such a way that made me feel guilty for being such a light sleeper, for snoring every now and then, for having to wake up so early in the morning to catch my train and do my hair.

He really went out of his way to say he was sorry. But that was a few months ago. And the late night phone calls have been something of a bi-weekly routine since then. And last night, he was on the phone until 11:50.

At that point, I finally got on my bathrobe and told him, again, that i was tired and needed to get some sleep. And again, he apologized and quietly got off the phone.

And, of course, all day, i've been dreading coming home because i knew he was going to apologize again, and, frankly, i just didn't want to hear it. Because, y'know, it wasn't sincere. It wasn't a case of him not knowing the situation, it was a matter of him choosing to be a jerk. I mean, there is just NO way on earth he didn't know he was keeping me up. He just didn't care about it. So, i didn't want to hear any of his lame excuses.

So i'm home, and all i'm thinking is, "urggggh, he better not apologize to me, he better not apologize to me, he better not even THINK of apologizing to me..."

He walks out of the bathroom and says "hey," and i'm thinking, "here it comes. He better not say anything, but here it comes. Dude, i am gonna let you HAVE it! Yo, man, you don't want any of this, so you better keep your mouth SHUT! Don't you dare apologize to me, you ARSE!"

"Looks like the rain has finally let up," he says.

"Yeah, finally," i said.

I was chuckling when i said it, but underneath, i was thinking, "don't you do it, man, don't do it. I don't wanna hear it. I don't wanna get into this with you, man. you better not apologize, you better not apologize, you better not...

...okay, well, you walked into your room... and you closed your door, but you better not come back out here and apologize.....

...eventually... any minute now...

because i know you're gonna come back out here and say you're sorry, but we both know you don't mean it, so.... you better not............. better... not........

...sonofaBITCH, he didn't even apologize to me!!!!!"

Gotta be careful whatcha wish for, i guess...


the five things i fell in love with today...

1) the other day, i saw a disheveled looking middle-aged guy walking down the street in a beat-up "GROOM" t-shirt that was now two sizes too small for him. And dragging herself behind him was a woman who seemed to be throwing eye-darts at him, hoping to magically bring to life the phrase, "if looks could kill." Sometimes, i get a little sad that i'm still single, but at least i'm not THEM!
2) i unintentionally solved an argument yesterday at the train station when i bought my monthly pass. i'm not sure what was going on exactly, but two strangers looked right at me when i retrieved my ticket and the one woman pointed and said to the other, "SEE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" glad to have helped.
3) one of my toddlers told me the other day, "ryan, your kisses are YUCK!" ...i didn't completely fall in love with that, really, but i did think it was pretty funny.
4) FREAKY!!! my iPod was randomly shuffling through songs last week, and played "until the end of the world" by U2 and R.E.M.'s "it's the end of the world as we know it (and i feel fine)" back to back. Can't remember what the next tune was, but i do know it was by death cab for cutie, which, truthbetold, also freaked me out a little bit.
5) sincerity.

song of the night...
"late in the evening" by paul simon

movie of the night...
"man in the moon"

No comments:

Post a Comment